Friday, April 01, 2005

An April Fool's Day Memo--2 Chances to Say Goodbye to Diane Graham

This memo was sent April 1.

I assume it's not an April Fool's joke.

Then, again.....you never know these days.

It turns out I have conflicts on both days and can't attend. So I've assigned my staff--in a proper tribute to Diane Graham, of course--to grab some of those big yellow notepads from the fourth floor and take plenty of notes.

A guy I know--a retired editor and reporter at the local paper--said he also can't make it to the gatherings.

He does have a good excuse, though.

"I know it is hard to imagine anyone having something better to do than go to a party for Diane Graham, but that is the day I plan to ride to Omaha on a bicycle without a seat," he pointed out.

The memo:

From: Anger, Paul
Sent: Friday, April 1, 2005 6:57 p.m.
To: DES MOINES-NEWSROOM
Subject: Diane Graham Fetes

Folks,

Two dates to put on your calendar:

At 4:45 p.m. Thursday, April 7, in the newsroom, there will be cowbell-ringing, cake-cutting, ice-cream-scooping and speech-making in honor of Diane.

Then from 7-11 p.m. (OK, or longer) on Saturday, April 16, there will be a party at my home to wish Diane well in, ah, a more casual atmosphere. (That's 710 36 St., West Des Moines.) Bring a spouse or guest.

-- Paul