Friday, December 16, 2005

I Extend My Best Wishes To Chuck Long In His New Job As the Head Football Coach at San Diego State. No One Represented Hayden Fry's Program Any Better




I want to wish Chuck Long the very best in his new job as the head football coach at San Diego State.

When Long [left] was the quarterback on teams coached by Hayden Fry [with Long on the right] at Iowa, he not only was an outstanding representative of the University of Iowa, he commanded the respect of columnists and sportswriters.

We all found him a pleasure to be around.

When I was researching my book, "Tales from the Iowa Sidelines," Long was one of the first former Hawkeyes I contacted.

He then was on Bob Stoops' staff at Oklahoma, and was just as resourceful as a coach as he was as a player.

Good luck, Chuck.

I hope your new team plays Iowa or Iowa State sometime down the road.